Tuesday 24 June 2008

Wolf Teeth

Echo apparently has a small wolf tooth on her left side of her jaw. This is the side that I have been having problems getting a good contact on. This has improved since her teeth were rasped, but since we have been having problems, I'm guessing I should probably have it removed. I don't really know much about the process of removing wolf teeth or in fact anything about wolf teeth at all. Someone told me that there is no anaesthetic - they just pull it out - that sounds awful! I don't want to hurt her... but I don't want the bit to hurt her either so guess it'll have to be done.

We had fun today, going fast up steep hills to try to build up her muscles around her stifle. I think she's going to enjoy this fittening process - reckon I might too!

7 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Any time I have had wolf teeth removed the horses have been sedated. But then, they were working on floating their teeth, and the vets here always sedate for that.

The wolf teeth come out really easy though. It's surprising how easy.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I would get them out, if you request sedation they will do it for you. I'm guessing the bit may work better for you if they are out.

Anonymous said...

My horse had his wolf teeth pulled, but they numbed the area. You should ask for it even if it costs a bit extra just to make sure she doesn't get hurt...Hurting her could make her tentative about her mouth.

Good luck

My horse was loads better after I got his teeth removed. He wasn't turning well either and he wouldn't let me bridle him. :)

Suzie said...

Thank you - I have been reading a bit about them and think I will have it removed - and definitely ask for it to be numbed - you're right Cass - I don't want her to get hurt and be nervous about her teeth or head.

Cat said...

Hi

I have a three year old gelding (Wolfie) who had a wolf tooth removed a couple of months ago. When the dentist was out last year, we discussed removing the tooth and although it is common for wolf teeth to be removed without sedation, we both felt that as Wolfie was going to be bitted soon after, it was a pain better not associated or remembered with his mouth. The dentist I use does not believe in sedating horses for basic work, but I feel that we made the right decision in sedating Wolfie. The tooth came out fairly easily and healed quickly.

Beckz said...

It depends on the size of the tooth, if they are small they will just flick them out, but the bigger the tooth and the older the horse, will need sedation. Wolf teeth aren't attached to the jaw bone so its not a huge deal.

Harriet said...

I've come across this before only once. It's definitely not like using Carbide Cutters to remove one of the many molars and premolars. Most horses I've come across are sedated for this procedure, although as it's not attached to the jawbone then it doesn't have to be the case. Cass' advice of numbing the area is a good idea too.

Daily adventures while training my young horse.